Thursday, October 22, 2015

Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas

       Being a big proponent of Christmas, I really enjoy all of the holiday movies and shorts that Disney comes out with. More recently, they've made shorts, or spins off of the movie Cars about the characters from Radiator Springs, which are all fine and dandy, but I am personally a fan of the classic Mickey mouse Christmas films with the original characters; Mickey, Minnie, Donald Duck, Daisy, Goofy, and Pluto. I think one of my favorites is, Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas, because it tells classic stories from Mickey's perspective, Donald and his three nephews, Huey, Duey, and Louie's perspective, and Goofy's perspective of their holiday adventures. I think that I really enjoy these stories because they are relatable to real life scenarios, allowing for more of a connection between the film and the observer.
       The first story is Mickey and Minnie's, and it tells of how the two gave up very important things to exchange for gifts. They showed their worth to each other by putting their needs on hold for the other because it would make the other happy. This story is relatable to me because during the holiday time I know that my mom sacrifices whatever she needs in order to fulfill my sisters and I's, ridiculous or not, Christmas list. She shows me the real meaning of Christmas; giving, not receiving.
       The second story follows Goofy and his son Max, it tells of some very comical events leading up to Christmas, which leaves them distanced for a while, until Santa visits making it one of the most magical holidays yet. Goofy and Max can be parallels to many parent to child situations, but I think what makes this one so special is that they learn that the parent is only trying to do what's best for their children to make them happy for at least one day of the year.
       In the third portion of the film, you follow Donald Duck's nephews, Huey, Duey, and Louie, and learn of their Christmas dreams and how they turn into a constant rerun of Christmas day. As great as this may seem, the boys soon grow tired of what they thought would be great, Christmas everyday. Although it takes a few days, you see the boys transform from the greedy children you met, into boys who understand what a blessing it is to have Christmas one day, and the learn to appreciate all aspects of the holiday, not just the part when they get gifts. To me the three boys can be compared to most children, now grown, at a young age, because when you are young you dint understand the point, and as you grow older, you see the beauty in all of Christmas day not just the gift portion.
       As you grow older, I think that yet again Disney is right of the money, and has shown us the beauty in the holidays, and taught us how we need to appreciate what our loved ones do for us, and know that there is more to Christmas than gifts. Disney has taught me to appreciate the little things, and hold on to family traditions, because without them none of this would be possible.
 
"...it all started with a mouse." -Walt Disney


No comments:

Post a Comment