Sunday, October 4, 2015

Disney vs. Depp

       We all have heard of Disney's, Alice in Wonderland, this cartoon classic was made in 1951, well before I was born, but a more recent version of this movie was brought to life in 2013, starring Mia Wasikowska and Johnny Depp. Most often I agree that remakes of classics are never as good as the original, but in this case, I think there are pros and cons to both sides being that they were so drastically different although it was the same story.

The Original Version Pros:
  • Told the whole story without missing any major parts.
  • Simplistic and wholesome for the entire family.
  • Whimsical and detailed for the age it is.
The 2013 Version Pros:
  • Shed light to areas of the story that never were told before.
  • Showed more detail to both queens, and their relations.
  • Very detailed, and graphic, made the story come alive.
The Original Version Cons:
  • Didn't tell the dark and eerie parts of the story.
  • Didn't give background information on Alice as much.
The 2013 Version Cons:
  • Had a higher rating, not allowing all ages to watch.
  • Graphically disturbing at some points.
       Overall, my views on these movies were very split because you could see things from the perspective of liking one better than the other, giving a biased opinion. For me, I love the original version because for most of my childhood that the only version I knew, I grew up wanting to experience what Alice did, I envied her in a sense. I believe I loved the second version because of Johnny Depp's character as the Mad Hatter. The second version brought a devilish sense to this once whimsical fairy tale. Depp brought to life the "Red Queen's" castle, and her evil ways, and told the backstory of Alice that really tied the whole thing together. I guess when it comes to choosing one over the other, I may just have to wait and fall down that hole when I get there!

"...it all started because of a mouse." -Walt Disney


No comments:

Post a Comment