Friday, March 11, 2016

Staying Grounded: Disney Style

       I think that for too often people become too much of what they say they will never be, or of their hobbies and lifestyle, instead of staying connected to things that ground you and make you, you. For me, Disney has always been apart of my life, these movies, shows and concepts that Disney is revolved around have in some ways shaped who I am today. Although some of Disney's ideals are outdated, and unrealistic, I've learned to take away the good from these messages and learn from the bad.
       A common theme throughout the majority of Disney movies occurs when the main character becomes confident, or cocky, and starts to show off, and distance him/her/itself from their roots, or their backstory. An example would be like Troy Bolton in High School Musical 2, when he starts to get recruited from a basketball group, and gets a great promotion in his summer job, he starts to blow off his friends, forgets about dates with his girlfriend, and overall becomes an arrogant jerk leaving him single and friendless.
       To me this is a very important lesson to learn in life because you need to stay humble and remember where you came from to make the journey life takes you on more extraordinary. If you get handed everything in life without having to work for it, you don't appreciate things, you know no value because you've never had to earn anything. Disney has an approachable way of coming back to reality and remembering what's important in life.
       So many days even I get to stressed about my job, or show choir, and school, and I forget that life really isn't about this. I have to remind myself that I am doing a good job, or maybe I need to be a little kinder, and just take a minute to look at how I've grown as a person, and be proud yet humble. After all, growing up is a humbling experience, and I think that whatever path you may choose, we all tend to get a little sucked into whatever is consuming your life, and when this happens, just remember where you came from along with how far you've come. Remember the little fish that said, "...just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming ,swimming, swimming...", although she couldn't decipher between "Fabio and Nemo", she could always remember who she was; she knew her TRUE self.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment