Thursday, February 11, 2016

Marengo


I have now lived in Cedar Rapids for almost eight years after moving here in 4th grade from the little town of Marengo in Iowa County about 45 minutes away from here. I miss is a lot of times but I would not choose to move back for three reasons, I have made life time friends here and I truly believe that. Soccer has been a huge part of my life for so long and if I still lived in Marengo I would not have had the same chances there. Finally, parties here in Cedar Rapids are most of the time better and they happen more often so that is a good perk.

When I first moved, it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do because it meant I was the new girl and I had to leave my friends I had grown up with. I have clearly grown a part from those friends but lately we really have been able to keep in touch more often. Marengo will always have a very special place in my heart because it was the very first place that I could call home.

Small towns have always had a sweet spot with me because everything is right there. You do not have to drive 15 minutes to go to your best friends house or be stuck in rush hour traffic. Being in a bigger city is still very overwhelming to me, like to the point that I get really bad road rage and feel very anxious when I am not very sure where I am on the road. In Marengo, I never had to worry about that kind of stuff.

I go back there every now and then when I can but sense it is kind of a ways it doesn't happen as often as I would like but whenever I do I always have a really great time! We always stay with these really good family friends of mine the Carneys. They have a son my age who I have always been really close with and knowing that we are always welcome there is the best feeling!

Sometimes I think about raising my kids there, but then I remember all the great things that came about in the bigger city. I obviously have a lot of time to think about it but Marengo will always be home and I do intend to have my kids be aware of it and want them to know that it may always be an option. I will always love Marengo.

No comments:

Post a Comment