Monday, September 21, 2015

Realistic Ideals

       When you think of Disney, you think of mystical magical fairy tales that ALWAYS have a happy ending(with the exception of Frozen) between and boy and girl. You think of a long, beautiful romance story with tragedy and huge obstacles that had to be overcome to end a beautiful love story, when in reality that's not at all how life works. With the exception of Disney's most recent princess movie, Frozen, every Disney story has had an unrealistic ideal of how you should meet your "true love" and live "happily ever after." 
       Up until recent years I didn't find anything wrong with this until you think about all of the things that could possibly get in the way of a perfect love story. Aside from the fact that to me there isn't really ever a perfect love story because everyone's love story is different, making it perfect in its own way. 

My first issue with Disney's ideal love story:
•Love at first sight
My problem with this is that I(grantedI've only been alive for 16 years)have never seen or heard of anyone saying, "Yeah, I saw my husband mowing his lawn once, and from the moment our eyes met, we were in love."
•Ariel(love her) was very young, as were most of the other Princess'
Nowadays is very much frowned upon to be married at a young age because older generations like to tell us that we have no idea what love is this young blah blah blah, yet they are the ones who were married SOOO young! For example, Ariel, she was sixteen when she was in love with Eric, traded voices to make him fall even more in love with him, and then, you guessed it, they got married. Now don't get me wrong, love is love, whatever way you look at it, but I think that it's a bit of a stretch for someone, take me for example to get married based on little to no prior information about the person!
•True love can only be found in a spouse
I agree with the statement to a certain degree, but having 4 older sisters, a niece, the best mom, and working at a daycare, I'd say that any Real love, can be found in lots of different people, or places. True love is found when you would go out of your way to make these people happy, and to care for them, most importantly to show how much you care, and to me that doesn't only have to be your spouse. 

"...it all started because of a mouse." -Walt Disney

       

3 comments:

  1. I agree on your point about Ariel. But the argument can be made that she wasn't changing into a human for Eric. She was changing because she genuinely wanted to be a human. She collected human objects long before she met Eric, and longed to "be where the people are".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree on your point about Ariel. But the argument can be made that she wasn't changing into a human for Eric. She was changing because she genuinely wanted to be a human. She collected human objects long before she met Eric, and longed to "be where the people are".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disagree with your point that true love can only be found in a spouse. As seen in many Disney movies, the love between a parent and a child is equally as strong, if not stronger. Otherwise, I agree with your post.

    ReplyDelete